Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memo from Stomach to Brain

Dear Brain,
I know that you're supposed to be the most highly evolved part of the body, but sometimes I can't help but wonder how things would be if I ran the show. I mean, hello? Who's idea was it to down a handful of chocolates (or two or three handfuls...I know that it was Lindt and I know that is was free...but come on!)so that the next thing you know, poor Jenny has enough gas to send her to Pluto and her blood sugar levels are along for the ride?!

And who has to deal with the stomach churning and the bloating and the goddamn feeling of incompetence as I rush to process all that chocolate? Me. For once, I'm going to stand up for myself. I demand a 21 day detox. If you don't take care of me, I quit (where's the stomach union anyhow? I'd like vacation and pension too, please.)
Yours affectionately,
Tummy


Ok, so now that you all know about my naughty day and the aforementioned trip to the solar system, it's time to get serious. I realized after a hangover day of horrible headaches, tummy bloating, and blood sugar levels like a Six Flags roller coaster ride, that I really had better start taking care of my stomach before it bails on me. So tummy, you win - 21 day detox it is.

Actually the idea came to me when I was reading The Kitchen Shrink, by Natalie Savona, which is really a good book and I recommend that you check it out. There's a bunch of interesting chapters that I might react to in later blog posts if I have the time, written by a Cambridge educated ex-journalist and recovering depression-holic (is that a word?) She suggested a 21 day detox to give your stomach time to recover and start on a clean slate. My plan for the detox is going to be a little different from hers because a) I don't think some of her suggestions will work for my stomach and b) I need some meat protein to maintain my weight.

I've already made my lemon and ginger juice concoction and stuck it in the refrigerator, ready for me to heat up tomorrow morning in the true Ayurvedic fashion (I gave up drinking this a while ago because I couldn't be bothered to make it very morning, I don't know why I didn't think to make a whole batch beforehand).

She also says to have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and fibre (which I need to work on). She also says to avoid alcohol, coffee, dairy products, processed and sugary foods, and limit intake of gluten to once every two days. Aside from her suggestion to eat soy for main protein source (because in reality, soy isn't that easy to digest), and snacking on raw veggies (because I can't digest those either) I think this is the way we should be eating all the time. Although I'll pass on her "liver flush" (grapefruit juice, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and ginger).

I'm excited to finally start feeling better and not be in limbo. I think it's time to stop pining after the foods I can't take anymore and give big hugs to the foods I can! I guess this means I'm going to have to be a little more creative with my cooking - good thing I found an awesome Indian cornbread recipe for that pancake batter sitting in the fridge at the moment. And this might mean that I'll be posting more often - which is fab!

Tonight I had buckwheat noodles with miso soup - it was good but not quite right so I'll post the recipe once I've perfected it.

Here's to healthy guts!

***
Thought for Food: Who wants to join me on this detox? It'll make me feel less lonely...!
***

No comments:

Post a Comment